Sunday, April 19, 2015

A Catalan BBQ

Today was quite a lovely Sunday. I was able to go to an outdoor gathering (like a BBQ in America). Maria asked if I wanted to join her and Lucas on their trip to their friends home which is about 30 minutes outside of Barcelona. They were having something similar to a barbeque but a Catalan version. We were going to eat  Calcotada. When we arrived I was greeted by such a sweet family. It was a wonderful day of visiting and learning about Catalan traditions. I'll show pictures since I'm not very good at explaining it all correctly. 

Here is a picture of the area we were in today. I guess it would be considered out in the country. There were vineyards everywhere so I'll call it wine country. Notice the huge mountain in the background. BEAUTIFUL! 


Here I am with eveyone minus Maria who took the picture. I still can't get over how sweet these friends are. I was told that I now have two homes in Spain! They even had the Garth Brooks greatest hits CD playing in the background for me once they heard I like country music. 


Here are the onions that were put on the grill. They are called Calcotadas. I was a little nervous when I saw them but don't worry, you slide the black part off! You dip the onion in the sauce to the right. It tasted very similar to the sauce you get with a blooming onion at Outback so I enjoyed it. 


This is how you drink Cava which is just like champagne. I stuck with a normal glass. 


Stephanie and Marta preparing their onions! 


Maria eating her onion. This was the really unusual part of the tradition but it made it fun and interesting. 


They said I was very good for a first timer! After the onions we ate bacon and a special Catalan sausage. I was stuffed.  


They brought out the selfie stick after our meal. 



Maria wore her America converse today! 


After we got back to Barcelona, Maria and I went to the Cathedral to attend 7 o'clock mass. What an amazing place to go to church!! 


Talk about a Sunday Funday! Now back to school for the week. 

1 comment:

  1. You will have to teach us how to make (and eat) those onions! And how about trying one of those glasses? When in Spain.......
    Glad you had a fun Sunday!

    ReplyDelete